NTEU’s vision for tertiary education is for strong, quality sector that is centred on opportunity, accessibility and affordability. To realise this vision:
- The cost of going to university or TAFE must be within reach of all ensuring that access is based on merit and not the ability to pay.
- The level of public investment in teaching and research must be improved.
- Research must be better funded, free of Ministerial interference and sufficient to support fundamental, curiosity-driven research.
- University autonomy, research integrity and academic freedom must be protected.
- Strong regulation, public accountability and transparency in public reporting is required to protect the international reputation of our sector.
There cannot be a strong, quality sector as long as there is reliance on the use of insecure forms of employment, where there is systematic and widespread underpayment practices and where employees need better workplace rights to improve their working rights.